In March 2013 the Government announced the Primary PE and Sport Premium. £150m will be given to primary schools annually to improve their PE and school sport.
Each year, £4m will be shared between Sussex state schools, academies and pupil referral units that have primary aged pupils. The amount given to schools in 2016/17 and when they will receive it can be found here.
How should I spend my Primary PE and Sport Premium?
Step 1 – Audit: look at your existing PE provision using the Youth Sport Trust’s self-review tool
Step 2 – Get Strategic: plan how to address weaknesses in your PE provision. Could PE help to support your School Improvement Plan (SIP)?
Step 3 – Development Plan: make sure it’s on your website as Ofsted & the DfE will check– download our Spending Plan Template
Step 4 – Deliver: use our provider matrix to find a suitable organisation
Step 5 – Evidence: show the impact of your spending by filling in our Primary PE & School Sport Premium Impact Poster and adding it to your website or displaying in your school
Aims of the Primary PE & Sport Premium:
- Upskilling of primary teachers
- Increase competitive opportunities, such as joining the School Games
- Provide leadership opportunities for children in PE
- Create after school clubs for the least active, e.g. Change4Life clubs
- Extension opportunities for gifted and talented children
- Invest in assessment in PE. Check our provider matrix for help
- Purchase supply cover for teachers to develop PE strategy and attend CPD
- Establish partnerships for schools to work together on their PE
The aims of the Primary PE & Sport Premium were agreed jointly by the Department for Education (DfE), Association for PE (AfPE), Youth Sport Trust (YST) and Sport England.
For more information please contact:
School & Community Sports Officer
01273 644106 / 07766 894494
Nick supports Sussex primary schools benefiting from the PE & School Sport Premium and assists with the two main County Sports Partnership programmes for Children & Young People, Sportivate & Satellite Clubs.