Board aims and objectives
- To set the values, strategic direction and policy of Active Sussex.
- To respond to local, regional and national influences, including the representation of Active Sussex, sport and physical activity on all relevant local, regional and national policy and strategy consultations.
- To advocate for sport and physical activity, and for Active Sussex.
- To ensure Active Sussex is fit for purpose.
- To advise on the annual business plan and associated budget, and receive performance management information.
- To scrutinise Active Sussex’s governance, risk management, financial management, strategy implementation and the performance of it’s professional staff team.
- To account to Sport England and other relevant stakeholders for the for the performance of the organisation, including the allocation, use and management of its grant funding, in line with Sport England funding award conditions.
- To oversee the Active Sussex business development and recruitment processes.
The Active Sussex Board is committed to encouraging partnership working between agencies, so that delivery of activities are of high quality and accessible to all people across the county.
Code for Sports Governance
15.8 million adults in England now play sport at least once a week, 1.75 million more than in 2005/6. Sport England launched the Code for Sports Governance just after the conclusion of the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The business of sport has changed rapidly in recent years. New opportunities and threats continue to present themselves. The type of decisions that now need to be taken are frequently complex, commercial, multidisciplinary and high-profile in nature. Those entrusted with the responsibility to take these decisions therefore need to equip themselves in a manner that allows them to thrive in this shifting environment.
It was against this background that the Government’s strategy for an active nation (published December 2015) set the requirement for UK Sport and Sport England to agree a new Code for Sports.
Many of the principles set out in this Code are widely accepted as being elements of good practice in corporate governance. It has been jointly produced by Sport England and UK Sport, and it will apply to all organisations within the United Kingdom to whom they provide grant funding.
A detailed overview of the Code for Sports Governance can be downloaded from the Sport England website here.