Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer by:
- Developing/adding to the PE and sport activities they already offer.
- Building capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
“Making sustainable improvements should be considered as a priority.”
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity.
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
Schools should not use their funding to:
- Employ coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements.
- Teach the minimum requirements of the national curriculum.
- Fund capital expenditure.