2 x Independent Trustees
Job Title: 2 x Independent Trustees
Organisation: Active Sussex
Type: Administration & Development
The Active Sussex Board are currently looking to appoint to two voluntary positions to their board of trustees.
Positions are non-executive and not salaried. Out of pocket expenses will be paid where appropriate.
The role of an Independent Trustee is to provide strategic leadership and be a visible role model for Active Sussex.
They are tasked with supporting the Independent Chair, Vice-Chair, Chief Executive and the Strategic Management Group.
To effectively carry out their role, the Independent Trustee will:
- Advocate for sport and physical activity in Sussex
- Champion for Active Sussex within their own sector and its networks
- Promote the Active Sussex vision for sport and physical activity in Sussex
- Provide a two way network of communication between partners within their own sector, its associated networks and Active Sussex
- Contribute to effective board performance and management
- Set strategic goals within the business plan and ensure that effective monitoring is in place to evaluate progress
Equality and Diversity Active Sussex have adopted a target of maintaining a minimum of 30% of each gender on its Board and to progress towards achieving gender parity and greater diversity generally on the Board, including, but not limited to, Black, Asian, minority ethnic (BAME) diversity and disability.
Applications are therefore particularly welcomed from people with disabilities and BAME groups as they are all currently under represented within the Active Sussex Board.
The Independent Trustee will have the following attributes or experience:
- Will be commitment to the Partnership o Will be willing to devote the necessary time and effort
- Has strategic vision o Possesses good, independent judgement
- Has a strict sense of confidentiality
- Has the ability to think creatively
- Will be willing to speak their mind o Has an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- Has the ability to work effectively as a member of a team o Has an understanding of Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- Is tactful and diplomatic o Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills
- Is impartial, fair and able to respect confidences
As a minimum, Independent Trustee’s will be expected to be able to prepare for and make the following time commitments in order to fulfill their duties:
- Induction training (0.5 day)
- c. Four Board meetings annually (2 hours per meeting)
- c. Two Partnership events annually, including the Annual General Meeting (up to 2 days)
- c. Four sub-committee meetings annually (2 hours per meeting)
- One annual Board Away Day
- Represent the Trust on working groups/conferences/events (1 day)
If you require this document in an alternative format, please contact Ruth Dacey (Active Sussex PR and Communications Officer) via E: firstname.lastname@example.org / T: 01273 644153.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit their CV, together with a covering letter which expresses their rationale and interest for applying along with how they meet the role and person specification, plus a signed copy of the declaration (Appendix IX, PDF) to Sadie Mason MBE (Active Sussex Chief Executive) E: email@example.com / T: 01273 642438.
Please refer to the enclosed Trustee Recruitment & Job Application Pack.
The application deadline is Thursday 7 March 2019.
Interviews will take place on 21 March 2019 at University of Brighton, Falmer Campus.
Contact Name: Sadie Mason MBE
Contact Telephone: 01273 642438
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 07/03/2019
Interview Date: 21/03/2019