The role of PE Coordinator has now expanded and diversified to include PE, sport, physical activity and potentially healthy living and wellbeing too. With the role of the subject becoming ever more important and prominent we have established a checklist so you can make sure you are staying up-to-date and on the right track.
- Audit your school’s current provision using the Youth Sport Trust’s self-review tool or Primary PE & Sport Premium & Health Assessment Wheel
- Complete the Active Sussex Training Needs Survey to help ensure the training we offer is in response to demand and tailored to your needs.
- Ensure your school has an assessment system in place to track pupils’ progress in PE. The Physical Education Expert Group have produced guidance on assessment here.
- Read the government’s teaching blog: A PE Coordinator’s Guide.
- Look at the Active Sussex guidance on the Primary PE & Sport Premium (PPSP) to ensure your school is utilising the grant in the best way possible.
- Ensure your school has appointed a governor to oversee the PPSP grant spending.
- Watch these short videos from Sport England highlighting the most effective ways of utilising the PPSP.
- Contact your School Games Organiser who will have information on local School Games competitions and CPD training available to your school.
- In line with government guidance, ensure your school is offering 30 minutes of physical activity to every pupil, every day.
- Put in place a tracking system to study how much activity your pupils are participating in.
- Sign up for the Active Sussex Education eNews to keep up-to-date with new initiatives, offers and government legislation.
- Look through afPE’s Primary PE Audit Tool to check for areas of staff development.
- Sign up for a PE & Sport Premium and Health Wheel workshop to track and celebrate your PPSP impact.
- Use your activity tracking system to establish who your least active pupils are. Utilise programmes such as Change4Life to target these pupils.
- Register your school on the School Games website.
- Utilise the Active Sussex Primary Providers directory for information on providers of memberships, accreditation, PE CPD, curriculum support, sports, physical activity, health & wellbeing, online resources and offsite activities.
- Apply for accreditation/awards from: afPE, Youth Sport Trust, School Games, Quality Start.
To further develop yourself as a PE Coordinator we also offer Level 5 and 6 professional qualifications in PE specialism and PE Subject Leadership.
Visit our CPD and Opportunities page for more details on what qualifications are currently on offer.
Primary PE Page Links:
- Primary PE and Sport Premium
- PE Coordinators
- Sports Information
- CPD Opportunities
- PE Lesson Resources
- Preparing for OFSTED
For more information please contact:
PE & School Sports Officer
01273 644106 / 07766 894494
Nick leads on supporting Sussex primary schools benefiting from the PE & School Sport Premium and promoting initiatives, programmes and local offers that develop PE, sport and physical activity.