Throughout 2021-22 Active Sussex will be offering a range of exciting, insight-led CPD opportunities for primary schools. Keep an eye on this page to see what is happening in Sussex.
Level 5 Professional Vocational Qualification in Primary School PE Specialism
- A bespoke physical education qualification for primary school teachers, teaching assistants and coaches.
- Developed by the Association for Physical Education (afPE) and Sports Leaders UK (SLUK).
- Designed to up-skill primary school colleagues to support the delivery and coordination of high quality primary school PE.
- An in-depth degree level qualification, with national recognition, that is proven to be an effective use of the Primary PE and Sport Premium.
Date: Beginning January 2022
Cost: £950 +VAT per delegate
Find out more: Level 5 Professional Vocational Qualification 2022
Contact: David Taylor (email@example.com), 07511 404 116, to book your place.
Creating Active Schools: Physically Active Learning
Is your school looking to become an active school? This session will explore the role physical activity has to play – and in particular how physically active learning can significantly impact on well-being and academic achievement. The session will explore:
- What is an active school?
- The benefits of physically active learning
- How children best learn
- Barriers/solutions to creating active schools
- How our memory works
- Steps to Success
Date: Tuesday 23 November (4-5PM)
Inclusive Dance Teaching
A virtual 2 hour course led by Natasha Britton, Artistic Director of Parable Dance, with over 20 years-experience specialising in inclusive dance education. This course is suitable for primary and secondary teachers in mainstream and special schools addressing inclusion in your dance classes.
It will involve sharing:
- Advice around how we can make small adjustments to our methods to include everyone
- Top tips around communication, props, access, adapting movements and dealing with challenging behaviour
- Creative teaching tasks to take to your classroom
Date: Monday 6 December (4-6PM)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Complete PE: Primary School Dance CPD
A one-day course to support all primary school teachers to feel confident and enjoy teaching Dance lessons as part of the PE curriculum.
- Explore sequences (units) of learning from Foundation stage to year 6
- Gain lots of ideas to take back to your school
- Receive an electronic pack of supporting resources following the training
Date: Tuesday 11 January 2022 (9:30am – 3:30pm)
Venue: A Sussex venue is TBC
Cost: £75 +VAT
Contact: David Taylor (email@example.com)
Boing: Learning through Play Virtual Coaching Course
Boing supports practitioners to create playful, active and inclusive spaces that develop children’s physical literacy. Boing is all about providing children with the tools they need to explore the world around them and solve problems in a fun way.
- Explore what physical literacy is, and why its important
- Build your knowledge, skills and confidence in delivering games
- Make your sessions more active, more inclusive and more playful
- Discuss the Boing Principles of delivery and the Boing 6Cs
Date: Wednesday 19 January 2022 (5:45 pm – 7 pm)
Contact: David Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
More details coming soon…
Youth Sport Trust (YST) – PE & Sport Premium Support Package
A Key Indicator focussed PE and Sport Premium support package to help create meaningful impact and enhance PE & wellbeing throughout the school
Find out more: YST-mebership-Premium-Package-03-2021
LTA Youth – Schools
- Online teacher training course designed specially for primary schools to support the curriculum
- Brings together free PE lesson plans, personal development resources and teacher training
- Receive a £250 reward voucher for your school and a free activity pack on completion
Venue: Virtual delivery
Create Development – real PE
- real PE is a sustainable solution which is fully aligned to the National Curriculum and Ofsted requirements.
- It focuses on the development of agility, balance, coordination, healthy competition and positive learning behaviours
- It uses a unique, child-centred approach to teaching and learning in PE.
Autumn webinars for new/non-member schools: https://spark.adobe.com/page/EYU5E2DNdtx9A/
Autumn webinars for member schools: https://spark.adobe.com/page/E1XvMN6CpnFS8/
More information: Contact Linda Goode (email@example.com)
Stoolball Primary School CPD
- Twilight teacher training to implement stoolball into your PE curriculum or develop a stoolball extra-curricular club
- Delivered on-site, at your school, across Sussex
- Includes a six-week set of lesson plans to develop striking and fielding PE lessons
Venue: On-site school delivery, across Sussex
Aspire:Ed – Embedding a Powerful Physical Curriculum
- An on demand Physical Education course that boosts the knowledge, skills and confidence of primary school teachers
- Delivered to you in real-time wherever, whenever and however you want
- Raise the profile of PE, school sport and physical activity in your school
“These bite-sized courses are good for busy teachers. The ‘Embedding a Powerful Curriculum’ course really suits those new to being a PE Coordinator who has not already written their statements of intent, implementation, and impact.”
Venue: Virtual delivery
Cost: From £150
British Dodgeball – Introduction to School Dodgeball
- An online self-learning course, specifically aimed at those working in school environments
- School-specific support which will help you to adapt dodgeball for PE lessons
- Learn how to plan and teach Dodgeball effectively
Date: Online, anytime
Find out more & book your place: britishdodgeball.org/product/introduction-to-school-dodgeball/
IPLA Foundation Course in Physical Literacy
Through 6 progressive online lessons, this course aims to:
- Introduce the concept of physical literacy
- Explain the IPLA definition of physical literacy
- Explore the nature of a physical literacy journey
- Identify the implications of physical literacy informed practice
By the end of the course you should be more familiar with the concept and some of its key guiding principles.
Cost: IPLA membership required (£20).
Find out more & begin: physical-literacy.org.uk/course/ipla-foundation-course-in-physical-literacy/
Swim England NCTP Support Teacher & Teacher of School Swimming
This is a blended learning course where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning, prior to the practical workshops where you will get the opportunity to deliver a session. Your online learning will take an approximately 8 hours.
Who is the course designed for?
This training programme has been specially developed to help school teachers, HLTA, volunteers in a school and PGCE students gain the right skills and knowledge to deliver quality school swimming lessons to meet national curriculum requirements.
This programme will help you to understand:
- How to Identify activities that will positively impact students learning
- Engage with pupils, helping them to progress
- Key Stages 1 and 2 programmes of study
- Health and safety considerations of organising and delivering a school swimming programme
- How swimming and water safety can be delivered to meet school swimming outcomes
Monday 30 March 2020 New date to be announced…
Location: K2 Crawley, Pease Pottage Hill, Crawley, West Sussex RH11 9BQ
Find out more & book your place:
Crichton Casbon Consulting
Crichton Casbon is a nationally and internationally recognised expert in the Physical Curriculum with a reputation for providing ‘legendary’ courses in all aspects of this critical area of learning. Whether you want help to:
- Improve learning and teaching in Games, Gym, Dance or Athletic activities so teachers are more confident,
- Develop simple highly affective assessment so children progress and achieve,
- Re-design your physical curriculum so that children develop a joy of moving,
- Design and develop your playground curriculum to ensure greater happiness and wellbeing,
- Increase and report the impact you make through the Primary PE and Sport Premium,
- Quality assure the coaches you use with the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding.
Visit www.cccreates.co.uk to find out more.
PPS Premium and Health Assessment Wheel
- Celebrate and evidence the impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium
- Create and communicate a vision for PE, sport and health across the school, establishing where you are, where you want to be and how you are going to get there.
- Be part of a community of learning with shared best practice and aimed guidance across schools.
Price: £20 (+VAT) per school
Find out more:
Contact: David Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mid Sussex Active CPD Programme
- Mid Sussex Active (MSA) run a variety of training courses and workshops for teachers and school staff for MSA schools
- Their CPD programme is now open to all primary schools across Sussex through either a pay-as-you-go or affiliation options.
Contact: Caroline Stafford
Primary PE Page Links:
- Primary PE and Sport Premium
- PE Coordinators
- Sports Information
- CPD Opportunities
- PE Lesson Resources
- Preparing for OFSTED
For more information please contact:
Primary PE & School Sport Officer
David leads on supporting Sussex primary schools receiving the PE and Sport Premium. He promotes initiatives, programmes and local offers that develop PE, sport and physical activity within primary education.