Throughout 2020-21 Active Sussex will be offering a range of exciting, insight-led CPD opportunities for primary schools. Keep an eye on this page to see what is happening in Sussex.
Online Webinars and Podcasts
- AfPE – COVID-19: The Primary PE and sport premium – An update and orientation
- Youth Sport Trust – Supporting schools with PESSPA provision webinar and podcast series (scroll to bottom of page)
- Dr Ashley Casey – Cooperative Learning in Physical Education
Youth Sport Trust (YST)
For the remainder of the 2020/21 academic year, YST have put together a PE & Sport Premium resource and support package:
- Resources and training that can support you to invest your premium underspend on the recovery from COVID-19
- A bespoke PE premium package that you can purchase for £199
- An additional document to support spending across the 5 key indicators using YST and partner products/services:
Find out more: YST-membership-Premium-Package-03-2021
LTA Youth – Schools
- Online teacher training course designed specially for primary schools to support the curriculum
- Brings together free PE lesson plans, personal development resources and teacher training
- Receive a £250 reward voucher for your school and a free activity pack on completion
Venue: Virtual delivery
Stoolball Primary School CPD
- Twilight teacher training to implement stoolball into your PE curriculum or develop a stoolball extra-curricular club
- Delivered on-site, at your school, across Sussex
- Includes a six-week set of lesson plans to develop striking and fielding PE lessons
Venue: On-site school delivery, across Sussex
Aspire:Ed – Embedding a Powerful Physical Curriculum
- An on demand Physical Education course that boosts the knowledge, skills and confidence of primary school teachers
- Delivered to you in real-time wherever, whenever and however you want
- Raise the profile of PE, school sport and physical activity in your school
“These bite-sized courses are good for busy teachers. The ‘Embedding a Powerful Curriculum’ course really suits those new to being a PE Coordinator who has not already written their statements of intent, implementation, and impact.”
Venue: Virtual delivery
Cost: From £150
British Dodgeball – Introduction to School Dodgeball
- An online self-learning course, specifically aimed at those working in school environments
- School-specific support which will help you to adapt dodgeball for PE lessons
- Learn how to plan and teach Dodgeball effectively
Date: Online, anytime
Find out more & book your place: britishdodgeball.org/product/introduction-to-school-dodgeball/
IPLA Foundation Course in Physical Literacy
In the new Sport England strategy, ‘Physical Literacy’ is mentioned several times within the positive experiences for CYP big issue, yet it is a term that not many will have heard of before or wont fully understand . The IPLA have now made their foundation course in physical literacy free, should you be interested in finding out more.
Through 6 progressive online lessons, this course aims to:
- Introduce the concept of physical literacy
- Explain the IPLA definition of physical literacy
- Explore the nature of a physical literacy journey
- Identify the implications of physical literacy informed practice
By the end of the course you should be more familiar with the concept and some of its key guiding principles.
Find out more & begin: physical-literacy.org.uk/course/ipla-foundation-course-in-physical-literacy/
Swim England NCTP Support Teacher & Teacher of School Swimming
This is a blended learning course where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning, prior to the practical workshops where you will get the opportunity to deliver a session. Your online learning will take an approximately 8 hours.
Who is the course designed for?
This training programme has been specially developed to help school teachers, HLTA, volunteers in a school and PGCE students gain the right skills and knowledge to deliver quality school swimming lessons to meet national curriculum requirements.
This programme will help you to understand:
- How to Identify activities that will positively impact students learning
- Engage with pupils, helping them to progress
- Key Stages 1 and 2 programmes of study
- Health and safety considerations of organising and delivering a school swimming programme
- How swimming and water safety can be delivered to meet school swimming outcomes
Monday 30 March 2020 New date to be announced…
Location: K2 Crawley, Pease Pottage Hill, Crawley, West Sussex RH11 9BQ
Find out more & book your place:
Crichton Casbon Consulting
Crichton Casbon is a nationally and internationally recognised expert in the Physical Curriculum with a reputation for providing ‘legendary’ courses in all aspects of this critical area of learning. Whether you want help to:
- Improve learning and teaching in Games, Gym, Dance or Athletic activities so teachers are more confident,
- Develop simple highly affective assessment so children progress and achieve,
- Re-design your physical curriculum so that children develop a joy of moving,
- Design and develop your playground curriculum to ensure greater happiness and wellbeing,
- Increase and report the impact you make through the Primary PE and Sport Premium,
- Quality assure the coaches you use with the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding.
Visit www.cccreates.co.uk to find out more.
PPS Premium and Health Assessment Wheel
- Celebrate and evidence the impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium
- Create and communicate a vision for PE, sport and health across the school, establishing where you are, where you want to be and how you are going to get there.
- Be part of a community of learning with shared best practice and aimed guidance across schools.
Price: £20 (+VAT) per school
Find out more:
Contact: David Taylor email@example.com
Mid Sussex Active CPD Programme
- Mid Sussex Active (MSA) run a variety of training courses and workshops for teachers and school staff for MSA schools
- Their CPD programme is now open to all primary schools across Sussex
Contact: Caroline Stafford
Primary PE Page Links:
- Primary PE and Sport Premium
- PE Coordinators
- Sports Information
- CPD Opportunities
- PE Lesson Resources
- Preparing for OFSTED
For more information please contact:
Primary PE & School Sport Officer
David leads on supporting Sussex primary schools receiving the PE and Sport Premium. He promotes initiatives, programmes and local offers that develop PE, sport and physical activity within primary education.