Throughout 2020-21 Active Sussex will be offering a range of exciting CPD opportunities for primary schools. Keep an eye on this page to see what is happening in Sussex.
To have your say on what training opportunities are offered to Sussex schools, complete our Primary School Training Needs Survey now!
Online CPD, Webinars and Podcasts
A number of online CPD opportunities are becoming available. Below is a selection to help continue your professional development in PE remotely, most of which are completely free.
AfPE – COVID-19: Interpreting the Government Guidance in a PESSPA Context
Youth Sport Trust – Supporting schools with PESSPA provision during this period of change
www.youthsporttrust.org/free-home-learning-resources-0 (scroll to near the bottom of the page)
Teach Active – The benefits of physical activity and active learning to raise standards in Maths and English, Adapting Active Maths and English for a COVID-19 world and many more…
Dr Ashley Casey – Cooperative Learning in Physical Education
Margaret Whitehead – Physical Literacy from Theory to Practice
Boing: Learning Through Play (Virtual Coaching Course)
- For teachers, coaches and volunteers
- Be introduced to the theory and practice of delivering active and inclusive play
- Make your sessions more active, more inclusive and more enjoyable than ever, where moving, having fun and learning go hand in hand
- Explore some of Boing’s specially designed Playgames and gain full access to over 120 further games for use in your own setting
Date: Thursday 12 November 2020
Time: 3:45 – 5:15pm
Book your place: Email David Taylor email@example.com
Level 5 Professional Vocational Qualification: Primary School PE Specialism
- A bespoke physical education qualification for primary school teachers, teaching assistants and coaches
- Developed by the Association for Physical Education and Sports Leaders UK
- Designed to up-skill primary school colleagues to support the delivery and coordination of high quality primary school PE
- These degree level qualifications are proven, effective use of the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding
Find out more: Level 5/6 Primary PE Qualifications
Case Study: South Malling Level 5 Primary PE Specialism
Contact: David Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
Swim England NCTP Support Teacher & Teacher of School Swimming
This is a blended learning course where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning, prior to the practical workshops where you will get the opportunity to deliver a session. Your online learning will take an approximately 8 hours.
Who is the course designed for?
This training programme has been specially developed to help school teachers, HLTA, volunteers in a school and PGCE students gain the right skills and knowledge to deliver quality school swimming lessons to meet national curriculum requirements.
This programme will help you to understand:
- How to Identify activities that will positively impact students learning
- Engage with pupils, helping them to progress
- Key Stages 1 and 2 programmes of study
- Health and safety considerations of organising and delivering a school swimming programme
- How swimming and water safety can be delivered to meet school swimming outcomes
Monday 30 March 2020 New date to be announced…
Location: K2 Crawley, Pease Pottage Hill, Crawley, West Sussex RH11 9BQ
Find out more & book your place:
The FA Primary Teachers Award
- An FA accredited course aimed at primary school teachers and staff.
- Develop a greater awareness of the contribution invasion games have to KS1 & KS2 PE.
- Understand how to organise basic FUNdamental games to help develop Physical Literacy.
- Better understand The FA’s playing and coaching philosophy (England DNA).
- FREE for all teachers, TA’s, NQT’s, and PGCE students to attend.
Sharon Muxworthy (FA Regional PE Coordinator)
Crichton Casbon Consulting
Crichton Casbon is a nationally and internationally recognised expert in the Physical Curriculum with a reputation for providing ‘legendary’ courses in all aspects of this critical area of learning. Whether you want help to:
- Improve learning and teaching in Games, Gym, Dance or Athletic activities so teachers are more confident,
- Develop simple highly affective assessment so children progress and achieve,
- Re-design your physical curriculum so that children develop a joy of moving,
- Design and develop your playground curriculum to ensure greater happiness and wellbeing,
- Increase and report the impact you make through the Primary PE and Sport Premium,
- Quality assure the coaches you use with the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding.
Visit www.cccreates.co.uk to find out more.
Primary PE & Sport Premium and Health Wheel
- Celebrate and evidence the impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium
- Create and communicate a vision for PE, sport and health across the school, establishing where you are, where you want to be and how you are going to get there.
- Be part of a community of learning with shared best practice and aimed guidance across schools.
Price: £20 (+VAT) per school
Find out more:
Contact: David Taylor email@example.com
Albion in the Community – Premier League Primary Stars
- Would your pupils benefit from innovative football-themed lessons and activities?
- Would your school like to link up with the Premier League and Brighton & Hove Albion?
- Premier League Primary Stars is designed to use the appeal of the Premier League and professional football clubs to inspire
children to learn, be active and develop important life skills. Here in Sussex it is delivered by Albion in the Community (AITC) –
the official charity of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.
Mid Sussex Active CPD Programme
- Mid Sussex Active (MSA) run a variety of training courses and workshops for teachers and school staff for MSA schools
- Their CPD programme is now open to all primary schools across Sussex
Contact: Caroline Stafford
Use Our School
Sport England have developed a range of resources, Use Our School, to help you maximise the use of your school facilities. They can help you make the case for community use, help with costings and more.
Once you are ready to hire you can use School Hire to advertise and manage your facilities.
Primary PE Page Links:
- Primary PE and Sport Premium
- PE Coordinators
- Sports Information
- CPD Opportunities
- PE Lesson Resources
- Preparing for OFSTED
For more information please contact:
Primary PE & School Sport Officer
David leads on supporting Sussex primary schools receiving the PE and Sport Premium. He promotes initiatives, programmes and local offers that develop PE, sport and physical activity within primary education.