Throughout 2020-21 Active Sussex will be offering a range of exciting CPD opportunities for primary schools. Keep an eye on this page to see what is happening in Sussex.
To have your say on what training opportunities are offered to Sussex schools, complete our Primary School Training Needs Survey now!
Online Webinars and Podcasts
- AfPE – COVID-19: The Primary PE and sport premium – An update and orientation
- Youth Sport Trust – Supporting schools with PESSPA provision webinar and podcast series (scroll to bottom of page)
- Teach Active – A variety of exciting and engaging active learning webinars for all schools
- Dr Ashley Casey – Cooperative Learning in Physical Education
Level 5 Professional Vocational Qualification: Primary School PE Specialism
- A bespoke physical education qualification for primary school teachers, teaching assistants and coaches
- Developed by the Association for Physical Education and Sports Leaders UK
- Designed to up-skill primary school colleagues to support the delivery and coordination of high quality primary school PE
- This degree level qualification is proven, effective use of the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding
Case Study: South Malling Level 5 Primary PE Specialism
Dates: Beginning January 2021
- Days 1/2: Wed 20 & Thu 21 January
- Days 3/4: Wed 3 & Thu 4 March
- Days 5/6: Wed 9 & Thu 10 June
Cost: £950 (+VAT)
To book, contact: David Taylor email@example.com
Stormbreak – Improving Mental Health Through Movement
- A whole school approach to developing mental health through movement
- Incorporate mental health through movement principles throughout your school
- Train staff to understand how to deliver Stormbreak sessions
- Improve physical and mental health of every pupil, every day
Date: The Sussex programme will begin January 2021
Venue: 12 week virtual in-school delivery
Find out more & book your place: click here
British Dodgeball – Introduction to School Dodgeball
- An online self-learning course, specifically aimed at those working in school environments
- School-specific support which will help you to adapt dodgeball for PE lessons
- Learn how to plan and teach Dodgeball effectively
Date: Online, anytime
Find out more & book your place: britishdodgeball.org/product/introduction-to-school-dodgeball/
Create Development – real PE
- real PE provides fun and simple to follow schemes of work and support for Early Years Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 practitioners to give them the confidence and skills to deliver outstanding PE.
- It is fully aligned to the National Curriculum and Ofsted requirements and focuses on the development of agility, balance and coordination, healthy competition and cooperative learning.
- Sussex schools are being offered the opportunity to attend day one of this training for free to find out if it is righto for their school.
- A new blended learning approach to real PE training is currently operating with the first day of subject leader training being offered online:
- Friday 8th January 2021 (9:30am – 12:00pm)
- Wednesday 27th January 2021 (1:00pm – 3:30pm)
- Thursday 28th January 2021 (3:30pm – 6:00pm)
- Tuesday 2nd February 2021 (1:00pm – 3:30pm)
- Thursday 11th February 2021 (1.30pm – 4.00pm)
- Tuesday 23rd February 2021 (1.30pm – 4.00pm)
- Wednesday 10th March 2021 (9.30am – 12.00pm)
- Thursday 18th March 2021 (9.30am – 12.00pm)
- Tuesday 23rd March 2021 (1.30pm – 4.00pm)
Find out more & book your place: https://spark.adobe.com/page/0Ovz54CMgKum7/
Swim England NCTP Support Teacher & Teacher of School Swimming
This is a blended learning course where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning, prior to the practical workshops where you will get the opportunity to deliver a session. Your online learning will take an approximately 8 hours.
Who is the course designed for?
This training programme has been specially developed to help school teachers, HLTA, volunteers in a school and PGCE students gain the right skills and knowledge to deliver quality school swimming lessons to meet national curriculum requirements.
This programme will help you to understand:
- How to Identify activities that will positively impact students learning
- Engage with pupils, helping them to progress
- Key Stages 1 and 2 programmes of study
- Health and safety considerations of organising and delivering a school swimming programme
- How swimming and water safety can be delivered to meet school swimming outcomes
Monday 30 March 2020 New date to be announced…
Location: K2 Crawley, Pease Pottage Hill, Crawley, West Sussex RH11 9BQ
Find out more & book your place:
The FA Primary Teachers Award
- An FA accredited course aimed at primary school teachers and staff.
- Develop a greater awareness of the contribution invasion games have to KS1 & KS2 PE.
- Understand how to organise basic FUNdamental games to help develop Physical Literacy.
- Better understand The FA’s playing and coaching philosophy (England DNA).
- FREE for all teachers, TA’s, NQT’s, and PGCE students to attend.
Sharon Muxworthy (FA Regional PE Coordinator)
Crichton Casbon Consulting
Crichton Casbon is a nationally and internationally recognised expert in the Physical Curriculum with a reputation for providing ‘legendary’ courses in all aspects of this critical area of learning. Whether you want help to:
- Improve learning and teaching in Games, Gym, Dance or Athletic activities so teachers are more confident,
- Develop simple highly affective assessment so children progress and achieve,
- Re-design your physical curriculum so that children develop a joy of moving,
- Design and develop your playground curriculum to ensure greater happiness and wellbeing,
- Increase and report the impact you make through the Primary PE and Sport Premium,
- Quality assure the coaches you use with the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding.
Visit www.cccreates.co.uk to find out more.
Primary PE & Sport Premium and Health Wheel
- Celebrate and evidence the impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium
- Create and communicate a vision for PE, sport and health across the school, establishing where you are, where you want to be and how you are going to get there.
- Be part of a community of learning with shared best practice and aimed guidance across schools.
Price: £20 (+VAT) per school
Find out more:
Contact: David Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
Albion in the Community – Premier League Primary Stars
- Would your pupils benefit from innovative football-themed lessons and activities?
- Would your school like to link up with the Premier League and Brighton & Hove Albion?
- Premier League Primary Stars is designed to use the appeal of the Premier League and professional football clubs to inspire
children to learn, be active and develop important life skills. Here in Sussex it is delivered by Albion in the Community (AITC) –
the official charity of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.
Mid Sussex Active CPD Programme
- Mid Sussex Active (MSA) run a variety of training courses and workshops for teachers and school staff for MSA schools
- Their CPD programme is now open to all primary schools across Sussex
Contact: Caroline Stafford
Use Our School
Sport England have developed a range of resources, Use Our School, to help you maximise the use of your school facilities. They can help you make the case for community use, help with costings and more.
Once you are ready to hire you can use School Hire to advertise and manage your facilities.
Primary PE Page Links:
- Primary PE and Sport Premium
- PE Coordinators
- Sports Information
- CPD Opportunities
- PE Lesson Resources
- Preparing for OFSTED
For more information please contact:
Primary PE & School Sport Officer
David leads on supporting Sussex primary schools receiving the PE and Sport Premium. He promotes initiatives, programmes and local offers that develop PE, sport and physical activity within primary education.