Throughout 2019-20 Active Sussex will be offering a range of exciting opportunities for primary schools so keep an eye on this page to see what is happening in Sussex. To have your say on what training opportunities are offered to Sussex schools, complete our Primary School Training Needs Survey now!
Level 5 Professional Vocational Qualification: Primary School PE Specialism
- Bespoke physical education qualifications for primary school teachers, higher level teaching assistants (HLTAs) and teaching assistants (TAs) and coaches.
- Developed by the Association for Physical Education and Sports Leaders UK.
- Upskill primary colleagues to be able to assist Level 5 the delivery of high quality primary school PE.
- These degree level qualifications are proven, effective use of the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding and are designed to help teachers and primary school staff deliver high quality, sustainable PE and part of the curriculum.
Find out more: Level 5/6 Primary PE Qualifications
Booking & Dates:
- Level 5 Certificate in Primary School Physical Education Specialism
- Days 1 & 2: Wednesday 29 & Thursday 30 January 2020
- Days 3 & 4: Wednesday 3 & Thursday 4 June 2020
- Days 5 & 6: Wednesday 14 & Thursday 15 October 2020
- Book your place
Location: University of Brighton, Falmer (unless stated otherwise)
Contact: Nick Chellel email@example.com
Create Development – Real Play
- Real Play is a captivating programme that supports families through the power of play.
- It offers groundbreaking training to support practitioners with a unique approach and fun strategies to encourage families to play, learn and be physically active together.
- Unrivalled impact on children’s learning behaviours and parent confidence.
- Proven to transform habits and increase active family play.
Date: Tuesday 24th March 2020 (9.30am – 3.30pm)
Location: Holbrook Primary School, Holbrook School Lane, Horsham, West Sussex RH12 5PP
Find out more & book your place: click here
Contact: Linda Goode firstname.lastname@example.org
Swim England NCTP Support Teacher & Teacher of School Swimming
This is a blended learning course where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning, prior to the practical workshops where you will get the opportunity to deliver a session. Your online learning will take an approximately 8 hours.
Who is the course designed for?
This training programme has been specially developed to help school teachers, HLTA, volunteers in a school and PGCE students gain the right skills and knowledge to deliver quality school swimming lessons to meet national curriculum requirements.
This programme will help you to understand:
- How to Identify activities that will positively impact students learning
- Engage with pupils, helping them to progress
- Key Stages 1 and 2 programmes of study
- Health and safety considerations of organising and delivering a school swimming programme
- How swimming and water safety can be delivered to meet school swimming outcomes
Date: Monday 30 March 2020 (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Location: K2 Crawley, Pease Pottage Hill, Crawley, West Sussex RH11 9BQ
Find out more & book your place:
Create Development – Real Gym
- Reframe your view of gymnastics and challenge existing stereotypes.
- Understand why gymnastics is an important part of the PE curriculum.
- Set up and explore large climbing apparatus and associated activities.
- Discuss the Health and Safety aspects of gymnastics apparatus.
- Build on your knowledge to deliver real gym with confidence and creativity.
Date: Tuesday 9 June 2020
Location: Crawley Down Village CofE School, Hophurst Drive, Crawley Down, West Sussex RH10 4XA
Find out more and book your place: Click here
The FA Primary Teachers Award
- An FA accredited course aimed at primary school teachers and staff.
- Develop a greater awareness of the contribution invasion games have to KS1 & KS2 PE.
- Understand how to organise basic FUNdamental games to help develop Physical Literacy.
- Better understand The FA’s playing and coaching philosophy (England DNA).
- FREE for all teachers, TA’s, NQT’s, and PGCE students to attend.
Sharon Muxworthy (FA Regional PE Coordinator)
Crichton Casbon Consulting
Crichton Casbon is a nationally and internationally recognised expert in the Physical Curriculum with a reputation for providing ‘legendary’ courses in all aspects of this critical area of learning. Whether you want help to:
- Improve learning and teaching in Games, Gym, Dance or Athletic activities so teachers are more confident,
- Develop simple highly affective assessment so children progress and achieve,
- Re-design your physical curriculum so that children develop a joy of moving,
- Design and develop your playground curriculum to ensure greater happiness and wellbeing,
- Increase and report the impact you make through the Primary PE and Sport Premium,
- Quality assure the coaches you use with the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding.
Visit www.cccreates.co.uk to find out more.
Primary PE & Sport Premium and Health Wheel
- Celebrate and evidence the impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium
- Create and communicate a vision for PE, sport and health across the school, establishing where you are, where you want to be and how you are going to get there.
- Be part of a community of learning with shared best practice and aimed guidance across schools.
Price: £20 (+VAT) per school
Find out more:
Contact: Nick Chellel email@example.com
Albion in the Community – Premier League Primary Stars
- Would your pupils benefit from innovative football-themed lessons and activities?
- Would your school like to link up with the Premier League and Brighton & Hove Albion?
- Premier League Primary Stars is designed to use the appeal of the Premier League and professional football clubs to inspire
children to learn, be active and develop important life skills. Here in Sussex it is delivered by Albion in the Community (AITC) –
the official charity of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.
Mid Sussex Active CPD Programme
- Mid Sussex Active run a variety of training courses and workshops for teachers and school staff for MSA schools
- Their CPD programme is now open to all primary schools across Sussex
- Their programme for the current academic year can be found here: MSA CPD Courses 19-20
Contact: Caroline Stafford
Use Our School
Sport England have developed a range of resources, Use Our School, to help you maximise the use of your school facilities. They can help you make the case for community use, help with costings and more.
Once you are ready to hire you can use School Hire to advertise and manage your facilities.
Primary PE Page Links: